by: Katherine Jones
This past Sunday, we learned from Brad Wurzel how the Jesus Way is free from arrogance, and full of humility. Luke 14 is a powerful passage on that, wouldn't you say? As he was sharing, I was struck by two things:
#1. I need to LISTEN carefully to the message of Jesus about humility - not just because I appreciate the brilliance of Jesus, but because I myself really need to heart-check on this issue.
#2. We are really BLESSED with a team of Bible-honoring communicators at BCBC. (Great job Brad!)
What have you been learning and thinking as we've ventured through The Jesus Way? We have two more steps to talk about - and once again, I'm sure we'll come to the same conclusion: It's time to give up on our way and go all in on His!
SUMMER ACTIVITIES AMONG THE CHURCH
Summer is HOSPITALITY season for our church family, which means this is YOUR chance to invite, include, and connect as much as possible. And while there aren't as many "official church activities" as usual during this season, there are a few fun things going on for various groups: Here's a PDF calendar of those - at least, the ones we know about so far!
As for your own hospitality and fellowship - here are some questions to prompt ideas:
- Who could we invite over to BBQ on an upcoming Friday night?
- If we're heading for the dunes, or to the movies, or to the beach - who could we invite & include to go along with us, or to meet us there?
- Who has never physically been to our home before, that we consider a friend? When would it work to invite them over for a game night, a dinner, a dessert, or even to help out with a project?
- Who is one person that is younger than I am that I could encourage, include, or invite to do something?
- Who from the church family lives closest to me? When was the last time I dropped in on them to say hi, or took them a random gift?
Of course, I hope you'll make your best effort to faithfully attend church throughout the summer (we do have some surprises planned you won't want to miss, including something related to apple pie in July!) And I hope you'll participate in various ministry events like Vacation Bible School, Amplify youth, book clubs, and other items. But MOST OF ALL, I hope you are connecting with GOD and with OTHER BELIEVERS in the context of your own home, and in your own circle of influence. "Official church" is supplemental to those things, not the other way around.
Enjoy the weather, and remember -- INVITE & INCLUDE!
Grateful for summer,
P.S. BCBC TRADITION ALERT!!! Sunday is Father's Day - which means.... FREE MEAT STICKS FOR ALL GUYS! Sorry, no vegan option available. It's pure-100%-arise-Peter-kill-
P.S.S. Yes that's really in the Bible - Acts 10:13.